Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Speechless

Do you sometimes sit in stunned silence because someone you thought you knew did something you never thought they'd do to you?

It's at times like this that I realize that we are never safe. If we have a friend who is willing to hurt others, they won't be above hurting you. And that is why I think I'd prefer to surround myself with people who do everything in their power not to hurt others, no matter how frustrating, annoying, and ridiculous people are - there is no reason to intentionally hurt another person.

So another page is turned, another chapter is closing. The writing was on the wall a long time ago, but I didn't want to see it. And now I finally took off my blinders and I see it. And I don't know why, for so many years, I've let people stomp on me, take advantage of me, and treat me like garbage. I am so done with all of that. I'm done with 7th grade drama amongst adults. I'm just done. It's ridiculous and I have better things to do with my time and energy.

Sure, I'm hurt. And upset. And feel like eating a gallon of ice cream. But I'm not going to. Because that's lame. And really, I'm just kind of like - why am I going to let it get to me? Doesn't hurt anybody but myself. And it's less about what happened and more about losing friendships that hurts. But I've been through it before and I'll go through it again. The circle of life and all that.

Onwards and Upwards.

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Unfortunately, I know just what you mean. And you're right, you don't need people like that around you. I sometimes feel bad for not allowing myself to become friends with certain people, but as an adult, I choose my friends carefully.

Not like in college when I hung out with all kinds of rif-raf. I mean, my first college room-mate... sheesh! :)

Jen said...

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I wish I was there to give you a hug. (I'll eat that gallon of ice cream for you- cause that's what friends do!)

Jen said...

oh! I know EXACLTY how you feel!!!! It's losing the friendship that really stinks. Keep smiling and hang in there. It does get better :)

Jill said...

I don't know what happened, but I'm sorry you were hurt. Here's a hug from your favorite cousin...{{hug}}!! Now come visit me so I can laugh with you again. It's been too long!

Happy Wanderers said...

I hope you're not hurt because I haven't put any comments on your blog for such a long time!

Seriously, though, I think we all know that feeling. I wish I could eat a gallon of ice cream for you, too, like Jen, but they don't have that here.

You're still loved by about a billion and a half (plus one) people. :)