Monday, May 24, 2010

The Story

For those of you not on Facebook, I made an exciting announcement today! We're expecting Baby #3! Hooray!

Here's the story (warning - some girly information included, so if that makes you squirmy . . . well, you've been warned):

Because of what we have to do in order to have a chance of getting a baby into our arms, we decided to head to an infertility doctor (R.E.) before my parents headed off on their mission. Due to the amount of visits I have to make to said doctor during a treatment cycle, I figured it would be much easier to do if I had help with Caroline. I did not feel good about dragging a toddler into a fertility clinic. So we headed in for a consultation last month and we happened to be at just the right point to go ahead and start a treatment cycle! Which we did.

Things went a little differently with this new clinic and doctor than they did when we lived in DC. OH how I loved my doctor there! I missed him. This new doctor . . . he was nice, but I felt like I was prompting him on what the next step was every time I went in for a visit. I even had to remind him about the procedure when the day came. Ugh. Consequently, I was fairly . . . . pessimistic about any of it working. Which made me kinda bummed because it cost us nearly all of our Flexible Spending Account money for the year (no coverage for infertility with the insurance we are currently on). Quite frankly, I didn't think it would work.

We did have four eggs, but lost two of them. Well, I don't know if we actually lost them, but they weren't there at my final ultrasound. So that was kind of annoying. He thinks they released on their own and, considering the cramps I had, I almost believe him. Almost. So we could be looking at up to four babies, but I don't think God would do that to me. I think He knows me well enough to know that I could not handle that on so many levels.

We were told to take a pregnancy test on May 20th. Ha, like I could actually wait that long. So I took a test on the 15th (faint positive), the 18th (stronger positive, and then again on the 20th (very obvious positive). I refused to believe anything until I heard back from the doctor for blood test results. That's when I finally started believing it.

Oh, and the random cravings for tuna fish (GROSS!) and hot dogs (really?? yes, really) - that had me believing it a little, too.

So today I went in for more blood work and everything looks good. I am 5 weeks along and am due Jan. 24th. Yes, it is still beyond early, but because of our history with infertility it is hard to keep this kind of news quiet. We are too excited. And, as I mentioned on Facebook, if something does go wrong, I know I will have the love and support of friends and family.

Right now all I can think about is the last trimester and how nervous I am for a repeat performance of the complications I had with Caroline.

Oh, and whether or not it is multiples. We find that out on June 10th.

5 comments:

Author said...

Um, I just want you to know that I am hoping for multiple babies for you. Why, you may ask? Because you are a rockin'-awesome-mom with just enough sass to make it work with multiples! And your kids are just so dang cute!!!!

Alison :)

Ie Li said...

Shanae, that is fabulous news! I will pray for you!

Nancy Sabina said...

That is so way beyond fantastic! Hooray! Huzzah! I hope and pray that it all goes well for you. ...I'm so excited for you!!!!

Nesa said...

Congratulations Shanae!!!

April said...

wow wow WOW! I am so very excited for you all! All four of you! Soon to be all ____ of you! we will find out soon, oh boy! I put it on my calendar: shanae US, so i remember to check in with you when you find out. And look at you getting all healthy with all that running before getting prego! Way to go!