Thursday, December 30, 2010

I suppose I should document this . . .

Nope, sorry - this isn't a Christmas post! Although I have to say, we did have a splendid Christmas! It was quiet and beautiful and relaxing! Cherishing those while they last!

Instead let me tell you a little about my month. Aside from the pneumonia. I've been heading to the doctor 2-3 times a week for appointments, ultrasounds, and non-stress tests. This week I also had some blood work done, partially at my request and partially at the doctor's request. Which doctor? Who knows? I have seen a total of 8 during this pregnancy (including two perinatologists!), one of which may or may not be the delivering doctor.

Most of these appointments have been low key, everything looking good, lots of pics of our new little guy (he's adorable, by the way - his cheeks are to die for! I hope they stay chubby!!). Today things took a turn. First off, my blood pressure didn't want to cooperate. Secondly, I was down a couple of pounds (I know, you're thinking - how lucky are you? No, this is not good... it happened with Caroline and if you read her story, you know it only goes downhill from here). Thirdly, well - the results of the blood tests were back. And they didn't look good.

You see, Christmas Eve something happened. Itching. And not the normal pregnancy itching that comes with an expanding tummy, but intense itching on the palms of my hands and on my feet. This is one of the only signs that accompany a condition called Cholestasis. This is the same thing I had with Caroline and there was a 90% chance it would happen again. When the itching started, I knew what it was but I also knew there wasn't anything the doctor could do about it this close to the end of the pregnancy. So when I went in the following Monday, I mentioned it to the perinatologist, who ordered the blood work. That's the blood work that came back today. And it was positive.

Not really a big shocker, but I was hoping to make it to 39 weeks. Oh well!

The blood pressure situation is still up in the air. More test results should be available tomorrow.

So, the big news is . . . I'm heading in for an induction on Sunday, January 2nd! Stay tuned for more news and pictures!

6 comments:

Missy said...

You, your family, and that newest addition are most definitely in our prayers!

SassyMama said...

Sorry to hear of the problems, but will keep you in our prayers and good luck on Sunday!

Nancy Sabina said...

I'm so sorry. (And Hooray! at the same time!) I know what it's like to have exactly what you expected happen but still not be happy about it. The important part is the baby being born. Now start up your little mantra. It starts like this, "Health in the ..." I can't tell you how many times I repeated that during my 4 months of bed rest.
You can do it, Nae! I'll be praying for you guys this weekend.

Jill said...

Oh no. You are in my prayers. I can't wait to see pictures of you with your new little one!

Empty Nest? said...

I love you and we are praying that everything goes well.Keep us posted. Mom

Anonymous said...

You sound so positive but I think knowing what to expect must have helped. As with Caroline, you and little baby boy will do just fine on the other side of all this medical stuff.

Sending you lots of love and prayers!