Monday, October 12, 2009

Another Illness

Last week Caroline had a cold according to the doctor (not my normal doctor, she wasn't in that day). She seemed pretty pleasant most of the week, just sniffly and goopy and snotty and a little less nappy than usual, but not unbearably unpleasant. Until Friday night/Saturday morning. She was really cranky, wouldn't eat solids, and was just kinda being a punk. She wanted me to hold her alllllllll the time. I mean, I love her, but seriously. Saturday afternoon/evening the fever started. By Sunday afternoon, she had goop dripping out of her ears. Ok, I know that sounds gross, but there it is. My assumption by that point was that her ear drum had ruptured. Again. And after another appointment this morning, I was right. She also had an infection in the other ear and her eye was still ooozing junk. So we have antibiotics for her now (thank goodness) and she's out for the count after kind of eating some baby food and some banana. Oh, and drinking a bottle.

In one month she will be ONE and I really don't want her to be using a bottle. Blech. I'm not holding my breath on that one, though. We're still struggling with the cup. She is offended when I try to offer her anything in it for the most part. Every so often she'll take water or juice. But heaven forbid I put formula of any kind in it. She gives me this look like - MOTHER HOW COULD YOU!?!?!?! It's funny, but annoying. Kind of like repeated ruptured ear drums. Annoying, but not funny. See, I said KIND OF LIKE, not totally like.

The good news (after that random tangent) is that now I have instructions on when to bring her in if this happens again. So hopefully we'll be able to avoid another rupture. Apparently Caroline is one of those kids who goes from yuck I don't feel so good to MY EAR IS BLOWING UP in about 2 seconds. So I have to watch her close and monitor her temperature and all of that. Good times. Right now the doctor is not worried about damage to her hearing or anything, but we have to watch things closely so it doesn't get that far.

I think that is about all I have energy for today. I'm hoping that in 5-7 days my new (old) thyroid medication will kick in so I can start feeling human once more. You see, to make a long story short, my old thyroid meds are on some crazy conspiracy theory worthy backorder so I ran out and my doc prescribed something new which was HORRIBLE and made me feel like I'd been hit by a truck daily so I called around and found a pharmacy about 20 minutes away on the other side of the river that actually has my old medication so I got a new prescription for it and now I have my new-old medication again and am waiting for my body to feel the love. Was that a short enough version?

Anyway, I'm alive. The kids are alive. The spouse is alive. We are getting through things one day at a time. Mainly because that's about all I can handle focusing on at this point.

3 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

I'm so sorry for your sickies. Why isn't she a candidate for tubes yet? Make a push for that and you will see a different side of your baby, I promise. Nolan had tubes twice. It's like they learn to live with the pain-so sad. Regarding the bottle, I know you probably don't want my advice, but here it is. Don't stress. If she has a bottle at 14 mos. and then transitions to a cup, no big deal. A sippy cup is more or less a bottle anyway right?
good luck to you and I hope you get some sleep.

Nancy Sabina said...

Oh, sheesh, Nae. I'm so sorry your little angel is having so much trouble. I know that's no fun.
Here's my idea for your bottle dilemna: let someone else make her make the switch. All 3 of my kids made the switch while somebody else was watching them for a day or two. They fight against Mom or Dad, but somebody else they think they don't have a choice. Naomi switched with ... wait.. was that YOU? Did you switch Naomi? Or was it my Mom. And my MIL switched Asher while I was in the hospital having Isaiah and she switched Isaiah at some point too.
... So there's my two cents on THAT.

Jill said...

WHOA!! Your poor little girl! I'm glad you're all alive. Good luck with the thyroid medication. So what's the conspiracy theory? Now I'm curious.