Friday, April 2, 2010

It's Me Again

I know, I know. I never update. Well, hey, deal, kae? I have a lot going on in my life! Well, that's not entirely true. I have kids. Is that a good excuse?

Anyway.

I had to post today because I'm so proud of myself. And, I know, pride cometh before the fall. But fall is like, 5-6 months away, right? I'll be over it by then, I promise.

So I've been doing this whole Couch to 5k thing, right? If you haven't heard, then obviously you don't follow me on Facebook or read my sporadic updates closely enough. Get with the times! Haha! Anyway, today I accomplished what just 5 short weeks ago seemed impossible. I did the following:

-Ran in the pouring rain
-Ran to the top of the 1/2 miles hill I live at the bottom of
-Ran 2 miles
-Ran for 20 minutes straight

For me - this is a huge accomplishment. Huge. I've never been a runner. I've never enjoyed running. I've never really eve run to the bathroom (thanks for the joke, Marie!). My exercise of choice has always involved a pool. But all of that is starting to change. Man, you should have seen the crazy grin on my face as I came to the end of my 20 minutes. It's pouring down rain, I'm dripping wet everywhere, and I had the cheesiest look on my face and was so proud. I did it. And I'm going to keep doing it. Because wow did that feel awesome.

The Couch to 5k program is 9 weeks long. I've just finished Week 5 and have 4 weeks to go. I'm excited to finish and start training for my first 5k race, which I hope will be the first week of June. I don't expect to finish first. Heck, I don't even expect anything but last. But I will finish. And 5 weeks ago I would never have said that - never even THOUGHT it!

Also, I'm going to be attempting to drink a green smoothie this morning. Nervous about that one. Really nervous. Hope it tastes good. I need a quick, easy, and nutritious breakfast option. I hope this is it, but if not - I shall keep trying!

In non-"me" news:

- Caroline has entered the clingy stage of life. Separation anxiety is huge for her right now. So that's fun. However, she has been known to fall asleep on people recently, which is strange.
- Soren was invited to join the National Junior Honor Society. Yep, he's brilliant. I think he's finally getting the hang of this middle school thing. His grades this term are better than they've been all year!
- Speaking of Soren, basketball ended about 2 weeks ago and track starts in a week. He's decided to give track a try and actually wants to start running with me. Awesome!
- Alan is my hard working man and I love him. Between work and the commute, he doesn't have much time, energy, or brain power for anything else. We're grateful for the sacrifices he is making for our family and love him like WOAH.

It's hard to believe March is over. I WILL MISS YOU, MARCH!!!! Now, on to April.

HAPPY EASTER! :)

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Way to go rockin' the CT5K thing! That's awesome! I really am proud of you. And PX90 (er whatever its called) is hard! I'll be super-duper-extra impressed if you start doing both!

Leah said...

So you are telling me the couch to 5K works.... I have been thinking of giving it a try. I would love to be able to run. I have said that forever and now it is time to really do it! you have inspired me :)

I love that Soren is doing track. I loved track in jr high and high school. I was a sprinter... maybe that is why I don't like to run.. I would rather sprint and get it over with ha ha ha. keep me posted on how he does.

Bonnie said...

Shanae, I think you're doing so awesome!!! I'm so proud of you, you really inspire me. Maybe when I'm FINALLY feeling better, I'll have to try the couch to 5k thing, too! You're awesome!

April said...

I think that is way awesome and I've even looked it up online to see if it's something I can do too after I finish my PT for my knee. Way to go!!! You rock!

Amanda said...

You've inspired me. I've been wanting to start running...have a park across the street that would be great, except no hills. Will definitely look up this program when I start. Thank you Shanae.