Friday, September 19, 2008

Failure to Update

Why is it that when you have no time and life is crazy, you find time to update blogs/journals/etc. but when life is a little slower paced, you just feel like there is nothing to say and/or you don't bother to update even if fun things are happening?

Well, that might not be YOUR problem, but it's certainly mine!

If I am in the throngs of chaos, I have to sit down for a few minutes and update my blog. When things are moving at a slower pace, nothing gets done. Maybe that's why I enjoy chaos so much? It motivates me to get things done!

So here's the latest:

-Soren is enjoying his new school, new teacher, and new classmates more each day. He is doing well in school, has decided to join the school band (playing trumpet), the school choir (they have a music festival in mid-November), the chess club, the safety patrol, and was accepted into the EXCEL program, which is like a gifted program but they don't call it that. On top of all of that, he will also be resuming piano lessons soon, starting basketball, and continues to be involved in Cub Scouts as a Webelos this year. Is he busy? Yes. Overprogrammed? Probably. But right now I want him to involved in as much as possible so he can figure out for himself what he likes and what he doesn't. Also, it will assist in making friends. However, this does mean we need to get him to bed much earlier each night as his days will be long. The good news? Thus far he has had practically nothing for homework in comparison to what he came home with in Virginia.

Aside from all of that, he is getting more and more excited for the arrival of his little sister. He talks to her everyday and tells me how much he loves her and how she is HIS baby. I laugh and remind him he is much to young to have his own baby and that this is his baby sister. And she will only ever have him for a big brother and she is so lucky!! He has also had the chance to go on two field trips for school already! Both of them involved the beach - so that was awesome for him. Today, however, he is home sick with the first school-germ-generated cold of the year. And he has sweetly passed that on to me. What an angel....

-Alan is still working and commuting. We get to spend a little time with him each night, but we have become early sleepers in comparison to our late nights we'd have back in Virginia. Now it is pretty unheard of for us to be up past 10:30pm - unless it's a basketball night! Alan is looking forward to joining the community rec center here so he can go play ball whenever he wants! Soren and I agree that this would be awesome because while daddy plays ball, we can invade the pool! And our Little Bean will be able to have the chance to swim, too - just like her big brother did when he was a baby!

Alan is also our Mr. Fix-It. He's had lots of projects since moving in with my parents and will continue to have more since my dad had surgery last week and is out of commission for 10-12 weeks. So Alan has become the lifter, mover, fixer, and all-around awesome guy to have around! I'm sure lucky that, in the end, he's mine!!!

-And then there was me! I'm trying to take it easy while I can, but it's hard to sit still sometimes. Ok, it's hard to sit still MOST of the time! I do have a 7 month pregnancy belly slowing me down a bit, but I am not fond of all the sitting I've been doing lately. Once I'm over this cold I am going to start walking everyday, especially since the beautiful fall weather is settling in. I can't wait for some nice little rain showers!

I finally found a doctor that I think I am going to be ok with! I have my first appointment with him in a couple weeks (he's really booked!) and am looking forward to meeting him and having him check on our Little Bean. I have heard fabulous things about this doctor and the recommendation comes from one of the few people in the medical field that I trust and love (yes, I said LOVE!). My next big project is getting a in-state license and getting the car registered. I think that will just about wrap up all the paperwork and nonsense we have had to do to get settled.

So, life is good. We love it in the Northwest, but continue to talk about and miss our friends in Virginia. Some good news? Alan is working for an airline. Yes, his company is considered an AIRLINE company. Do you know what that means? Oh yes, my friends, it means perks. Which means that I will for sure be flying out to Virginia in the spring to visit my sweet friends and show off our little princess. Until then, though, I am grounded - third trimester travel isn't exactly encouraged and there is no way I'm getting on a plane with a newborn. Nope, we'll be waiting until the spring. And then after that? Well, goodness.... we have a lot of options opened to us for vacations now! Any recommendations? Hee hee!

I'm off to nap now. I so need to get rid of this cold!

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Yeah! You'll come visit me with the angel! I have hope! But I must give my opinion that traveling with a newborn IS the way to go. They're so portable at that age and don't really care where they eat, sleep and poop as long as they can do it - so why not have it be on an airplane? I mean, I'm not saying you should come when she's two weeks old or anything - but I wouldn't rule out traveling with a two month old. It's easier than a 9 month old. Or 2 year old. Or 4 year old. And I'd be guessing beyond that, but I bet a newborn is still easier!

Is your Dad ok? I'm glad Alan is there to help.

Tiffini said...

Sorry you are sick. I got the "item" in the mail today so no worries. It was great talking to you the other day. Good luck with everything.

Missy said...

Good! I am so glad that things are settling in. Get better soon! And I am jealous over your fall weather. ;)