Thursday, September 4, 2008

Settling In

I am sitting here in our 'new' room. On MY bed. Watching MY TV. With MY TiVo box. I have been sleeping much better - in fact, I think we all have - and it's wonderful! I did have some trouble night before last because I was worried about Soren's first day at his new school, but (aside from the frequent visits to the bathroom) otherwise sleep has been much better. I love my bed.

As you might be able to tell, sleep is very important to me and my sanity. I didn't realize this until I stopped getting a fairly normal night of sleep. Hopefully I'll be able to manage through the first few months of a new baby without growling at everyone around me because I didn't get a full night of sleep. Soren was sleeping 5-6 hours straight when he was 6 weeks old. I doubt I will be that lucky twice!

It's all worth it, though. So I will do my best to keep from complaining when the lack of sleep increases! And I will cherish the mostly uninterrupted sleep I'm getting now!

In other news, Soren started school yesterday and he was very nervous about it - even if he didn't want to (and may never!) admit it. After 4 years at his old school, he's having trouble with the idea of a new school, new friends, new teachers, etc etc which makes sense to me. So I'm trying to be sympathetic and understanding, but also telling him to suck it up and deal a bit, too! Yesterday went ok - he seems to like his teacher, he's met a few kids that he seemed to get along with, he really enjoyed a science forum they had . . . but he talked a lot about the differences, as well. He misses his old school, but I'm hoping in a few weeks he'll have settled into the new routine and be ok.

Alan's new job continues to be challenging, busy, different, but good. He's learning a lot and feeling confident in his skills. While the commute isn't a dream for anyone in the family, he's handling it fabulously. I will admit, though, I miss having him cook fabulous meals for me almost every night. I hope my family survives on my cooking. One thing I think Alan is enjoying is the amount of projects there are to take care of around my parent's home. While he needs to rest for a while after work and I don't mind at all letting him sleep in on the weekends, it's nice for him to have things to work on. Alan's always loved to work with his hands, so these projects are great for him! It's also prepping him for when we move into our own place and I have a nice list of things for him to do! Haha!

As for me, I am trying to adjust to a less -busy schedule. Truthfully, it's just strange right now. I'm watching way more TV than I have in years. I'm getting all the laundry done in one day instead of dragging it on for days and days. I've even managed to make my bed a time or two. Boredom is going to set in soon - I already feel it nipping at me. But I know that in a few months, I will be anything BUT bored. Luckily I have all of my scrapbook stuff here at my mom's, so I will be able to do some of that while we wait for Little Bean to join us.

Speaking of Bean, she is hungry. So I'm off to find something to munch on.

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

I think you're allowed to growl at people a little when you're getting no sleep. It's a rule of new-motherdom.

I'm glad you're getting settled. I know it's crazy when you have that half-settled feeling. And sleep in your own bed makes such a difference. Take care of our girl (and I guess the boys, too).

Tiffini said...

Try not to get too bored. I am glad you got your bed and hope you can get some sleep before baby comes. Love ya seester!

Author said...

I miss you!
Alison