Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back in the Northwest

I've lived in the Northwest US for 2/3 of my life. I don't know if anywhere else in the world will ever feel like home the way the northwest does. Nothing says home to me like driving down the street and seeing this:



This is seriously what I see when I turn the corner to drive almost anywhere. And when I'm not looking at that amazing mountain (Mt. Hood), I see this:



I know, not quite as beautiful, but that's what happens when you lose part of your beauty in a volcanic explosion. Yes, that's Mt. St. Helens. I did not realize how amazingly lucky I had been my entire life to be able to see such beauty every time I walked out my door, but having it all back has made me grateful.

Aside from my mountains, I also have my gorgeous Evergreen trees, my amazing family, fabulous friends, and a lot less stress. With school starting next week, I know that things will get a little crazy. We've got to find a soccer team for Soren, get him a piano teacher, Scouts will start again, but for the first time in 2+ years, I get to enjoy his schedule instead of trying to work around it and make sure that someone is here for him! Hooray!

Do I miss Virginia? Of course I do! I wish I could scoop up all the things I love about Virginia (including the people!) and move them here with me. But, truthfully, I think this area will always be home for me.

Our pod is here and we are heading over either tomorrow or Thursday to get our bed (OH PLEASE, BED, I NEED YOU SO MUCH!) and a few other things to help us feel more at home while we live with my parents. I'm excited to get my bed (CAN YOU TELL?!?!) . The bed we are in is too small for the two of us. Or rather two and 2/3 of us. Little Bean has already begun complaining about things. She woke up way too early this morning (I know, this is just the beginning!) and would not stop poking and prodding me! She calmed down a little after Daddy came and talked to her, but then he had to go to work and she ignored all of my requests. I can't complain, though. I'm grateful she is active and let's me know she is there. Frequently. Haha! I know the days of getting a full nights sleep are behind me and will be for a while. But it's worth it.

In my sleep - deprived delerium, I think the point of this post is - we are here. We made it. And hopefully by the end of the week we will be settled here at my parents house. Then we just wait for Bean to make her appearance while we decide where we want to live and when we want to move there. We are keeping busy, but I feel like my life is much more relaxed than it has been so saying yes to a musical number at church and babysitting a friend's kids? No prob! Helping out with the music for the kids at church? Bah, I've been doing that for years - no big!

Biggest concern for the week? Getting Soren's school clothes and supplies. He's all registered and ready to go otherwise.

I think I'm going to go take a nap now!

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Those mountains still make me a little homesick too and I haven't lived there for ...oh my gosh...16 years! (Oh my gosh...did I do that math right? That's crazy!)
We miss you guys. But we're glad you're happy. Enjoy that less-busy schedule. And don't say "yes" too much or that schedule will fill right up!!!

Happy Wanderers said...

Wow! That is pretty! That would make me like living in the West better... ha ha ha (don't tell my family)

KAT said...

WOOHOO!! Welcome back! I was meaning to ask you if you had found a good OB. If you need one, I have a graet one!

Talk to you later!!