Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March

I love March. It brings with it a few things that I adore, including Spring and St. Patrick's Day. March is also when we went in for treatments 2 years ago so we could have our beautiful Caroline join our family. March is all about new beginnings and hope for me. And green. Lots and lots of green.

Man, I sure love St. Patrick's Day. Did you know? Well, if not, now you do.

So it's fitting that in March - actually on March 1st - I started something called Couch to 5k. Now, goodness knows I don't spend all day on the couch, but the concept is that you go from a sedentary lifestyle (which, unfortunately, is more true than I'd like it to be!), to being able to run a 5k. In 9 weeks.

Yeah, I said run.

I hate running. I don't want to hate it, but I hate it. Maybe because I've never done it correctly or because it's too much work or . . . who knows. But seriously? Running is so easy compared to some of the other options I have chosen in the past to be active. For example, I love swimming, but I don't have a pool. I've never had a pool! I've had access to pools, but that doesn't mean it's as easy as walking about my front door. My point is - running really isn't as horrible as I like to tell myself it is.

So I loaded up the IPod and off I went. And I actually liked it. I liked being out in the crisp, Spring morning air. I liked listening to music that made me want to dance. I liked the silence of the world at 5am. I liked being able to think and have some time to myself. So far, this program is pretty awesome. And I know, it's only March 3rd. But remember what I said about March?

New beginnings.
Hope.

I don't need January for that. I just need March.

3 comments:

Tiffini said...

Saw some St Patty's day decor yesterday and thought of you!

Good luck on the 5K-I hate running too but I think it is because I do it wrong. Last time I tried running I ended up with open sores on my ankle because I bang them together when I run.

Nancy Sabina said...

I've heard all about that program and it seems pretty awesome! Good luck!

April said...

Woah....5k in 9 weeks? Where did you come up with this insanity? I hope you have good shoes and you don't get shin splints! That always happens to me when i haven't run in forever. And you know, exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't.

So there ya go.