Tuesday, January 1, 2008

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

I never did get around to posting about Christmas. Sorry about that. This is probably because my biggest joy was in Soren's reaction to the Wii, but we did get a few other cool things around the house. I don't want to bother with a list, but it was great. We have a few fun games (non-electronic), a few fun movies, and some new clothes (I did break down and buy a pair of jeans for Soren - but they were totally on sale, so I'm justified). We also have more toys under foot, but not too many because Soren doesn't really play with toys very much.

Our Christmas Day tradition of going to the movies held strong and we headed off to see National Treasure: Book of Secrets. I love these movies. And there is obviously going to be a third movie. I just like how fun and light hearted they are. Purely entertainment. That is why I go to the movies most of the time - not to think or analyze or be preached at . . . just to have fun. This could get me into a huge discussion which would involve my Ethics class from college, but we just won't go there. Suffice it to say - I hated my Ethics class.

The rest of the past week has, sadly, been spent working (Alan and I were both back, nose to the grindstone, on the 26th). We have had opportunities to play the Wii and I can't wait for Soren to go back to school so he can stop bragging about all of his high scores. It might also give ME a chance to play MY game (MySims). Tomorrow is back to school for Soren, and Thursday is back to work for both Alan and myself. We'll miss this vacation a lot.

Last night we rang in the new year with a whole load of people. In total we had 10 adults and 8 children running around the house. Ok, maybe only 7 children were running - one is only 3 months old. We managed to contain all of the activity to the main floor and the upstairs and the kids did remarkably well considering they all (except the 3 month old) were up until midnight. It was funny because at midnight, almost on the dot, they all started to fall apart. By 12:30am, everyone was out the door (except the 3 adults who live here, the one adult who is visiting and, of course, Soren), Soren was in bed, and Alan and I had cleaned up enough for the evening and were in bed ourselves. We had such a great time and I hope all our friends did, too. Something I have been so very grateful for this past year is friends. When your family isn't close, you need friends and I have discovered so many this year.

So, 2008 has begun. Our year will be a crazy one that I can do very little planning for (which I hate). The next few months will be very emotionally taxing on our family, but hopefully it will all be worth it. We've got big ideas about what we want to have happen this year, but nothing is certain.

I do not make New Years Resolutions for many reasons, but I do know that all of here are working hard on bettering ourselves. Little by little we change small habits to create bigger habits that improve our home, our family, and ourselves. I love the beginning of a new year (and not just because it means my birthday is closer - I love birthdays hee hee). I love how fresh it feels. How full of hope and renewal it is. I hope for so much this year and I love that a new number at the end of a date can do that for me.

Love to all! Happy New Year!

No comments: