Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gross!

So my sweet, loving, darling, wonderful husband brought home a special present for me last week! Sweet, right?

Wrong.

His gift was evil germs.

A year or so ago I was the queen of illness. I was always coming down with something. I think part of it was that I had started teaching 4 days a week. Kids have germs and love to share. But I also know that I wasn't taking super good care of the body God gave me. So in September, I totally changed the way I was eating. I continued my beloved Water Aerobics. I started going on walks with hubby. And life as I had known it before changed dramatically. I had one small bout with a minor cold in January, but aside from that I have seriously not been sick since August 2007. For me, this was an impressive feat. Especially once the school year was in full swing and I was exposed to lovely children and their bacteria 3 times a week.

Until this past week.

Wednesday and Thursday of last week I had a scratchy throat. By Friday I felt as though I'd been hit by a truck. Since Friday, I have filled no less than 3 garbage cans in my house with used tissues and I am STILL congested! Can you believe that? Insane.

And of course, in my 'delicate condition' (HAHAHA), I can't take anything to get rid of the yuck.

I have my first 'prenatal appointment' today. I will be begging my doctor to have mercy on me and give me something (or tell me if there is anything aside from Benadryl) that will make this yucky go away. Maybe he would drill a few holes in my head so my sinus' can drain? No? Well it was a thought.

Did I mention how sleep has evaded me recently unless it is post-Benadryl? Benadryl (even children's benadryl) knocks me out cold. Once Alan gave me a dose of children's benadryl before church. It started working and I said, "I'm feeling better! I'm just going to go sit down for a few minutes." And then I fell asleep so hard he was not able to wake me up to go to church. So there I sat in our big comfy chair in my church clothes fast asleep until the boys got home from church. But if I'm not drugged up (Benadryl or Tylenol PM), I can't sleep to save my life. Probably one of the reasons that I got sick - lack of sleep. So I'm also going to ask for Ambien, a drug I know they give the pregnant ladies stuck in the hospital (April - where's my supply? Have you been stocking up for me?). At least to get me through until the end of the school year. After I'm done working a majority of my jobs, I won't care as much about lack of sleep.

(4 more weeks until one job is done! Yay! 10 weeks until another is done! Am I excited about this? Holy cow, yes.)

Oh, before I forget (again), I must relate a funny story about my sweet angel, Soren.

The weekend before St. Patrick's Day I was getting together everything I needed for my Mint Chocolate Cheesecake (pictured in this post). On the counter were things like... chocolate chips, mint extract, vanilla extract, etc. Soren, in all of his 9 year old wisdom, decided that it would be a good idea to test the vanilla extract. So, while we had company, he went into the kitchen and took a swig. He came into the front room holding his stomach. "What's wrong?" I asked innocently, having no idea what he'd been doing in the kitchen. "My stomach doesn't feel good," he replied, coming close to me for a hug. I smelled his breath and thought - hmm, what has he been eating? That smell is so familiar.....

He went into the bathroom briefly.

When he came out I asked if he'd thrown up. He said no and came back over to get another hug and some more sympathy. It was at that point that it finally clicked - his breath smelled exactly like vanilla extract.

"Did you DRINK the vanilla extract???" I asked him in disbelief.

"Yeah. It didn't taste good at all!"

"Well, DUH! It's mostly alcohol, you goofball!"

And now we joke about our son getting drunk off our collection of extracts.

I think, however, he's been scared off of alcohol for a few years.

6 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Awww, poor baby! The not sleeping part is certainly a dirty trick they play of prego's. It's like it's practice for when you have the baby - you haven't slept well in 9 months so what difference does it make now, ya know? Just don't get hooked on the drugs.
And as for Soren...HA! That'll teach him to be curious.

April said...

Still sick?? Oh man, I say go for the drill and make those holes yourself! Yuck!!

As for Soren....my mom used to make us drink a tablespoon of
"Imitation" vanilla extract as punishment for who knows what. It burns like crazy and tastes awful!!! I'm surprised he didn't mention that. I started keeping a cup of water under my bed so I could go to my room and get a drink to help wash the awfulness away.

Tiffini said...

Sorry you are sick. And that is just a classic Soren story. I can picture the sequence of events quite vividly--especially him holding his stomach dramatically saying he doesn't feel good.

Missy said...

So sorry about the illness! Hopefully the Doc can hook you up. We finally *crossing fingers until they turn purple* are done with our bouts. I actually woke up with a voice for the last three days! Wonderful news, I know. ;)

As for Soren.....LOL. That totally sounds like something a curious nine year old boy would do. I definitely think that he won't try that or anything else close it again! hahah

erica said...

oh sad my sick friend...my doctor gave me something called tylenol 3 and it was to knock you out. be careful with ambien...I know three people who took it and all three had nasty reactions.

Happy Wanderers said...

Yuck! I hope you're better...I can tell you that every time I've gotten pregnant--usually about 2 months in or so, I get what I 'lovingly' call a pregnancy cold. I feel NASTY for about 2-3 weeks, and then it goes away. I hope that it goes away sooner than that, for you, though!!!!!

Josh has drunk vanilla extract before. 'But Mom, it smells so good!' But he's also drunk a full bottle of penecillin, eaten an entire bottle of Tums, eaten raw cocoa, and drunk some of my coconut lime verbena bath and body works body spray (again, 'But Mom, it smells so good!) I called poison control with each of them, and they always told me to make him drink a lot of milk. When I told them he was allergic to milk, they said to give him a lot of oatmeal. EVERY SINGLE TIME they said that! I thought that was rather funny! So now any time one of the kids eats something they shouldn't (Like when Andrew drank some Mr. Clean floor cleaner) we just have oatmeal for lunch! Ha!! I think I'm going to have a bunch of alcoholics on my hands....