Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Picture Time!

Since it has been over a week since I updated, I thought I'd reward your patience with pictures!

First we will start off with a cake (there are lots of cakes involved in this post)! Last month was the Cub Scouts Blue and Gold dinner. Oddly enough, I don't think I mentioned this but that may have been due to stress. Sorry about that! Part of the festivities involved a father/son cake decorating contest. Soren and Alan had SO MUCH FUN putting together the Komodo Dragon Cake. Take a look-see:


Fun, huh? They made the dragon out of chocolate and freezed it and boy did they have fun with that green frosting. Anyway, it was a fun time and the cake itself was actually quite good.

Ok, now we move on to basketball. I know I mentioned that Soren finished up his season, but Alan still had church ball going on. He is in charge of basketball on two levels at church - both our ward (congregation) and our stake (many congregations). This has made for some insanely busy Saturdays the past 3 months. This past Saturday was the FINAL basketball Saturday of the year. WOOT! However, the ward in charge failed to staff appropriately, so Alan was there almost all day. HOWEVER - it did afford a really fun experience for Soren:


Forgive the blurry photo, but it was taken with a cell phone. This is Soren Da Ref. He got to referee one of the youth games! Our Bishop told us (and him) how wonderful it was to see him out there and what a great job he did! Alan was so proud of his boy and Soren thought it was awesome to be the one calling the shots! Granted he did have 2 other refs helping him, but I was told he really did a great job! Woohoo!

After the crazy day of basketball on Saturday, Alan and I headed to the temple for a bit. It was really nice to go, as it's been a while since both of us had time to go together. So that was really nice!

Now I shall skip ahead to a most awesome day! St. Patrick's Day!!!! One of my favorite holidays for no particular reason. I seriously go a little nutty. My house gets decorated - not insanely, but enough. I plan a big meal. We invite people over. It's crazy and fun. Our celebrations started early when, on Saturday night, our friends dropped off this lovely cake for us:


Ok, seriously - how cute is that?. Forgive the jumble of confetti behind it, I was tired and didn't want to doll up the shot anymore. Those are my table decorations for the holiday, though. The cake was delicious and was gone by mid-morning yesterday. Yums!

For dinner we had a traditional Irish Stew, which was really more like a lamb roast with potatoes, carrots, and gravy. Either way - YUM, YUM, YUM! I didn't get a picture of that, unfortunately. We also had soda bread (oh my gosh, my friend Jen did an amazing job with that), limeade + sprite, and shamrock shaped knox blox. And finally for dessert I made a mint chocolate cheesecake:


Another YUM to add to the day! It was insanely rich. I couldn't even eat an entire piece, but it seemed to be well loved by all. Next year I will make it the day before St. Patrick's Day so it's a little more firm. I just was out of energy on Sunday night, so it didn't happen.

So now it's Tuesday and I haven't even started thinking about Easter. Who knows what we'll do! I mean, besides the obvious celebration of the Resurrection. We've already done a fancy meal this week! Haha! Stinkin' early Easter. I need time to recover from my St. Patrick's Day festivities! Hee hee!

Today I need to take down all the shamrocks and put up all the easter stuff. I'm also working (slowly) on putting my desk back together as I have decided to keep it until further notice. I'm going through everything I had on it and decided what is staying and what is going. This is a process, but my bedroom will be thankful when it's complete.

This week is also Spring Break. That means I have my boys home. We are relaxing and plan on spending the break sprucing up the house, finishing up projects, and spending time together. Today we will probably hit the library and later this week we'll go to the zoo. Alan is also excited to be off work for the first few days of the NCAA Tournament. If you don't know what that is, count your blessings. It makes March/April a little crazy around our house. Haha!

So that's the latest from this neck of the woods! I am now off to do some tidying, organizing, eating, and what not!

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Those are some amazing cakes! You're making my diet seriously hard. But I'm so proud of Soren for growing up so fast and so good. Enjoy your Spring Break - and if you guys ever make it out this direction, call us!

Tiffini said...

OK the cakes are not showing up for me!!! I thought of you yesterday because I know how much you love St Patrick's day. Hopefully, this afternoon I will post our festivities. Apparently I started something the last few years that the kids demand on repeating. AAhh, the traditions we unknowingly start.

Merianne said...

Heavens, had I known you were going to get all those cakes I would have brought you something else. Thanks for posting it on your blog..I feel so special. :)

Happy Wanderers said...

Ummmm...Mint Chocolate Cheesecake?????????? Do you think that if you sent me one, they'd let it through and that it would survive the 2 week trek over the Atlantic ocean??? Oooohhhhh....that looks so so yummy!!! (*Drool*)

Ie Li said...

Mint chocolate cheesecake? YUM! That looks divine.