Thursday, June 5, 2008

How Many Updates is Too Many?

I've found since starting this blog, I can never decide if updating everyday is too much or if updating once a week is too little. So I've worked out a schedule for myself. We'll see what the verdict is on my updates in a few weeks. Right! On to the update!

Yesterday was insane.

The weather has been a little unpredictable, at best, the past week or so. With the humidity finally beginning to fall on the area, the thunderstorms have also become more frequent. This is our fourth Spring here in DC and I have no memory of any of the previous Springs being quite like this one. In the past week, we've had huge rainstorms, massive winds, and tornadoes. As I sat alone in the dark yesterday afternoon (we'd lost power) and watched the storm, it made me think of my daddy. When we lived in Ohio, in our tiny box (also known as apartment), we'd sit by the sliding glass door and watch the thunderstorms. I tried to call home, but no one answered.

So, instead I sat in the dark and let my mind wander. It was cool for a while, but I was grateful when Marie got home. Soren was almost an hour late getting home because the schools were on lockdown until the Tornado Warning passed. Alan, after leaving downtown at 4:15pm, didn't get home until almost 6:30pm. The storm had knocked out power to one of the metro stations, so after fighting crowds to wait for a shuttle bus, he gave up and just walked between the two stations. I picked him up and we found a Wendy's that had power and grabbed some dinner. Our neighbor came over and played with Soren (it's amazing what children can find to do with no electricity, but give them power and they are BORED! haha!). Another couple of friends came over to avoid the heavy traffic that the storm was creating and we played Pit by candlelight until bed time. All in all, it was quite fun!

After all the visitors left, we put Soren to bed and then Marie and I headed to the airport to pick up our friend, Sarah, who was lucky enough to fly here in the middle of a storm. Her flight was delayed and the airport was a little crazy, but after about 8 hours (it's normally about 2-3), she was finally safe in the car and we were on our way home. Upon return, the power was still out and Alan was sleeping on the couch with half a dozen candles lining the window sill, all lit to light our way home. By this point, I was exhausted and gave hugs to my friends and went to bed.

Around 5am, the power came back on. This meant that all the lights we didn't know were on came back on. So I woke up (I had to pee anyway - big shocker!) and turned them all off and tried to get back to sleep. No luck! So I decided to check on things on the internet, start some laundry, have a little something to eat, and in a few minutes I'm going to go tidy up downstairs. I'm sure this means that by 11am, I will be asleep somewhere, but I can't help it. Once I'm awake, I'm awake!

For those of you dealing with exciting Spring weather - I hope you stay safe! For those of you enjoying a warm, pleasant Spring.... be grateful! Haha!

I hope everyone has a lovely day! As for me, I'm heading to a Squirrel Nut Zippers concert tonight. So you can bet my day will be lovely! Woot!

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

I'm soooo jealous of you going to that concert! I bet they are loads of fun to see live.

We lost power too and the exact same thing happened to us mid-night with the lights coming back on. I could swear I checked them all, but the boys' room light was on and the bathroom in our room. Luckily the boy's didn't seem phased at all by the light. Naomi was just relieved that her night light came back on. Crazy storm. You think entertaining a 9 year old is hard with no electricity? Try 3 kids under 4!!!

Anonymous said...

no power failure here but i was up most of the night. being new to all of this my first thought was how will i schlepe three kids (9, 5, and 22 weeks) to the basement before the tornado hits.

i did take some advantage and attempted to video record a small portion of the storm. it was specatcular!

Kellie Griffin said...

Hi Shanae! I just wanted to say hello. I didn't know you had a blog. Jen just gave me your address. And I didn't know you were pregnant either. Huge congratulations! How I didn't hear it from my mom is amazing :) I just created a blog for us. You can check us out at kellieandsterling.blogspot
Sounds like you are pretty busy these days but doing well. Take care!