Thursday, July 24, 2008

As if it wasn't crazy enough...

Now let the insanity REALLY begin.

We have an official offer letter in our hands. Alan is faxing an acceptance tonight. We are moving back home.

I've made progress with the packing. It may not seem like much but, between babysitting my friends boys all day while she had her new baby boy, I managed to pack 2 boxes, organize the dining room as our official "shove everything that is ready to go" area, and empy out what we lovingly call "Harry's Room" (aka: the large cupboard/closet under the stairs). None of those items from Harry's Room made it upstairs (it's in the basement), but they are all out.

Only a BILLION more things left. That's ok, though. We'll get there. Tomorrow I need to list some things on Craiglist and start packing up books and DVDs. Maybe I'll even start to tackle the office. I do need to list my desk (again) and see if there are any takers, so it might be good if it was empty.

As is tradition in our family, we are doing a rush move. When we moved to the east coast we accepted the job on July 28th, 2004. We had the truck packed and pulled out of the driveway of our home (which we had managed to sell in 19 days) on Aug. 15. We were in our new place on Sept. 1. Our lives changed drastically in one month. It was crazy. This time we are accepting the job on July 24th, 2008. We will have everything packed up and off (hopefully) on Aug. 11. We'll be in our new location by Aug. 22 and staying with my parents for a few months while we get settled and figure out what in the world we are doing! I could name at least one other move that took place almost exactly the same way. Why yes, we are crazy! Thanks for asking!

On top of the insanity, I'm going out of town this weekend. I'm heading down to North Carolina with my former 'cellar dweller' (aka Marie who lived in our basement until a month ago) for 2-3 days to help her move the last of her things and to visit with her one last time before we depart from the east coast. This means I lose 3 days of packing. Does this worry me? Yes. Will I get through it? Yes.

We are excited to be moving, but sad at the same time. We love the DC area. We love the friends we have made. We have loved the amazing experiences we have had here. But the feeling has been coming on slowly that our time here is complete, and when the Lord starts poking. . . well . . . we listen. And now things are falling into place for us to go back to what we all feel like is home.

I don't want to think about all the dear, sweet, amazingly wonderful people we are leaving. I know that I will remain in contact with many of them (some of you can read this as YOU) via email, phone, Christmas cards, etc. But I don't want to cry right now. So I am trying to focus on the family and friends we will be returning to as well as the new friends I'm sure we will make. Focusing on that makes it a lot less emotional for me. And right now my emotions are already working overtime!

I will most likely be in town until the 19th of August. So don't try and rid yourselves of me just yet! Although I really hope they can release me from my calling soon. I need to pack up all of my singing stuff! Hee hee!

4 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

I am feeling sort of ridiculously sad about this. I know you're trying to not be emotional - but...*sob* ...I can't help it. I don't even honestly see you that often, but just knowing you're nearby makes me feel better (this is suddenly sounding like a cheesy song). Now I REALLY wish I had made it to girls' night on Wednesday. *sob* *sniff*

Anonymous said...

For those of you or I should state "You" I can atest to the fact Nae is the most fabulous at maintaining friendships no matter where she is and what she is doing.

Now that I moved closer (relatively speaking) you are moving further away, but all that means is that I must visit Washington/Oregon on a much more regular basis :-) Poor me - lol!

Wish I were there to help you pack!!!

Love you lots and just remember to take it easy. Things all work out, and it will get done.

Kellie Griffin said...

Congrats on the job/move. That is quick to be moving! We will be up visiting with Shellie the last weekend in Aug so I'm sure we'll get to see you....it's been so long!! Good luck with all the packing and moving. Ugh..

Ie Li said...

I'm going to miss you so much shanae! Thank you for including me in girls' nights. You're the best.