Sunday, July 6, 2008

Nevada + Utah

Here we are! We made it safe and sound to our destination. Our 5+ hour plane ride was a riot because Southwest always makes flying fun. I knew it would be a great flight when the first thing I heard over the speakers on the plane was:

"We don't mean to rush you, but... hurry up."

Bwahahaha! It just got better from there. Our main flight attendant kept reaching over to give Soren snacks and then pulling them out of his way. Another flight attendant and I were devising ways to torture Alan as he slept with an airline blanket over his head (he likes it REALLY dark). I spent a few different times in line for the bathroom and had some silly conversations with the flight attendants. They keep everything so fun and light! Good times! We all managed to find something to do during the flight, including sleeping, eating, reading, and watching part of a movie. However, we were still very happy when the plane landed. Woot!

Vegas, as I suspected, was hot, dry, and very boring (terrain wise). However, the heat was DRY heat so we all felt really good. The first stop we made after picking up our rental car (it's a full size beast that gets great gas mileage and fits the long legged men in the family - score!) was In and Out Burger. I had heard a lot about this place but had never lived anywhere near one. Um? YUM!!!! We all devoured our burgers and fries and were very happy. Then it was off on our drive to Provo/Orem. We actually did pretty well with this, considering how often we had to stop for bathroom breaks. We made one stop in Old Cove Fort that was great because we got to walk around and learn a bit of history as well. I'd never been, so it was fun. But we were anxious to get back in the car and get up to Provo/Orem. We finally made it around 7pm (9pm body clock time). After being up since 5am body clock time, Alan and I were spent. Soren, however, is young and spry and managed to make it through the fireworks. I think he went to bed after midnight. Who knows, really? I was asleep by 9:30/10pm (Mountain Time).

It has been fun to see family! My favorite part has been holding and cuddling my sister-in-law's little baby. I think I may have monopolized him for most of the day yesterday, but that was fine. He was cute enough and sweet enough that I didn't even care if he cried. It was nice to hold a baby and not sit and wonder if I'd ever have another of my own. It was the first time I've been able to do that in years upon years. However, I did give little baby Adam a hard time about standing and sitting on his cousin. He just grinned at me and cooed. Cheeky little monkey!

Today is our last day in the Provo/Orem area. Tonight we head up to Layton to stay with Alan's brother for the night and get some good one on one time with him and his family. Tomorrow I get to see some of my family in Salt Lake - cousins I have not seen in WAY too long. And Tuesday we head down to the Grand Canyon. I am not sure how much internet I will have for the next week, but I will try and muddle through and not get the shakes from withdrawal.

I'm sure I'll be way too busy cuddling all of my nieces and nephews that I have missed SO MUCH to care that I don't have internet. But you just never know! Haha!

5 comments:

Tiffini said...

Seriously--stop by for a bathroom break!!!!

Nancy Sabina said...

JEALOUSY!!!! I am not a burger lovin' kind of girl, but I fell in love with In N Out on my So. Cal. mission. Now my brother who lives in Cali is always calling me and bragging through a mouth full of In N Out. That stinker.
Enjoy those babies (and the rest of the fam, too). And eat another In N Out burger for me.

Leah said...

We need some serious one on one time with you guys too... why does our time have to interrupted?! Either way we are way excited to have you guys :)

Jill said...

What the?!?! You're going to be in SLC and you didn't tell me? Rude. Just rude. You'd better stop in at Temple Square and see my parents or my mom might find a way to make you pay. Uh-huh. Right. Sure. My mom is so non-threatening.

April said...

I'm glad you guys are having a good time! I love In N Out! Yum! I hope you have a fab trip and I wish Alan best of luck with the interviews!!!