Friday, October 24, 2008

Itching Update

So, I'm back from the doctor.

Yeah, he's concerned.

1 - I lost weight. This isn't exactly bad, but it's not exactly good. Baby is growing fast now and I should be gaining. He wasn't pleased and reminded me that I need to eat even if nothing looks good. Just shove something down my gullet.

2 - My blood pressure was stupid high. I credit this to worry/stress and total lack of sleep. He is concerned about it turning into toxemia - which is a valid concern. So I have to watch that this week.

3 - The itching is not good news, like I thought. I had 4 vials of blood drawn - and my vein - my super strong vein that has given the medical world so much blood - GAVE OUT after the second vial. RUDE! So we had to switch arms and get the last 2 vials from the other arm. I am having my liver function tested. I do not know when the results will come, but I'm guessing sooner rather than later.

4 - I am on partial bed rest - I need to spend 50% of my waking hours all comfy and cozy in a bed or a cozy chair. Seeing as sitting up fails me (Bean has taken up residency on a nerve if I sit against anything - including pillows), I shall be spending half of my day in bed. FUN! (April - I need you! Haha!)

5 - I have a prescription for a topical thingie to help the itching and have been instructed to take Benadryl every 6 hours to help with the itching as well as help me get some sleep.

See, the itching thing isn't normal pregnancy itching. The thought process here is that my liver is currently leaking bile into my bloodstream which is, in turn, manifesting itself through my skin. Apparently this happens in... oh, about 1% of pregnancies. Haha! I have such luck. Worst case scenario? Bean will come 3 weeks early instead of 1. Best case scenario? My liver function isn't too bad and the meds help the itching stop. I'd be more comfortable either way if they took her at 37 weeks (the usual protocol if you have this problem). I don't want anything to happen to her. That's what makes me the most nervous.

So, I may not be posting here so much for the next little while. I dunno. Apparently I need to go be all buddy buddy with my bed. Bleh.

Going to pop a bendaryl, rub on some of the lotiony stuff and see if I can get a nap in. I am beyond exhausted.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh! Shanae I hope you feel better soon! We'll have to stop by your bedroom for a visit? Are we still on for Saturday? Will we be hanging out in your bedroom???

Nancy Sabina said...

Oh Nae. I'm sorry that things are turning slightly sour at the end. But I'm sure she'll be fine. It just might not be so fun for YOU for a while. I wish I was close so I could come lay in bed with you for a day. (Bed rest always sounds nice until it's actually you who's on it!)
Tell your Mama or Alan to make you some cookies or something. Cookies always make ME feel better! And apparently you need the fat anyway! Heck - throw in some donuts and chocolates too. And Bon bons. You could literally lay in bed and eat Bon Bon's all day and nobody could say anything bad about it! That's almost as good as the time Dr. T told me my shoes were bad for my baby and I clearly needed to go shoe shopping.

Jill said...

Ugh. You have my sympathy. I itched like a crazy woman with RJ. I think Dave thought his new wife was a tad on the crazy side. Now he knows it's true and has adjusted. The itching didn't happen with Ari and so far so good this time. GOOD LUCK with the bedrest thing. It doesn't sound like you're very good at holding still not doing much. :) I suggest Netflix and knitting. NOT a scarf.

Tiffini said...

Wow...didn't expect that. I guess we will have to step up our prayers for Shanae and baby...well you are already in every prayer...two or three times in Zach's prayers--he likes to repeat himself. Hope you have lots of movies to watch.

KAT said...

Oh goodness! This is all dejavoo! I hope everything goes ok. Who is your doc? Is it the guy in Beaverton/Portland? Just curious.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! Let me know if you need anything. I'm just a hop skip and a jump from you!

Katrina

Happy Wanderers said...

Yuck!! I had a friend who had the whole body itching thing...it all turned out ok. I hope the meds work for you and that you enjoy your bed. Toxemia is not fun, either. But, it will all soon be over! :) Eat lots of fun US food for me (well, and for you and for the little girlie)! :)

Author said...

I remember a friend of mine had something similar when she was pregnant with twins. But, I am such a loser that I can't remember what it was that was wrong that caused her to itch so much. I am so sorry that you are miserable! Just remember, it's almost November- she'll be her so soon- that is amazing!
Try not to go crazy in bed.
love,
Alison

Unknown said...

I wish I were there to itch for you :-) Bean and you will be fine, get through this, and you'll be changing poopy diapers before you know it. Speaking of which Zachy just presented his second "package" for me as I was typing. I suppose it was the kiwi, eggs, and yams for breakfast.

Hang in there my friend. You've got lots of love and support.

April said...

Oh my goodness! I'm on my way! I'll bring you movies and endless witty conversations! I am soooooo sorry!